Sunday, July 25, 2010

School rugby’s record try-scorer Mohamed Rinaz recalls feat


Holder of the Sri Lanka schools rugby try-scoring record Rinaz Mohamed says that his harvest of 33 tries in 2001 is now worth more than what it ever was after witnessing the concluded League season that his old school St. Peter’s College won.

“The 33 record tries amazed me, but now looking back I am more proud than I ever was”, said Rinaz who is back in Sri Lanka from studies in England. Rinaz was the star performer in the 2001 season in which his powerful runs made him the most feared winger at the time.

He could have also become a top class athlete but contends that he preferred a team sport. “I did enjoy my athletics, but I wanted to be a team player not just an individual”, said Rinaz who has enrolled at CR and FC.
Having crossed over to St. Peter’s College from St. Sylvester’s College in Kandy to pursue a rugby career at the age of 14, Rinaz said he had no words to describe how his life changed.

“I owe it to St. Peter’s College. They gave me more than I ever dreamed of. My life has changed in so many ways and I can call myself a professional in many ways”, said Rinaz who also scored 36 tries playing for an English side called Milwall Rugby Club last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment